Monday, September 26, 2005

Lord of War B

The kind of movie that I'm more glad for having watched than I actually enjoyed watching at the time. Nic Cage is brilliant as usual, but the relevent precident here is Blow which also enjoyed a stellar central performance by a great actor, but was hampered by usual plot mechanics of inevitablity. Blow is actually strikingly apt in comparison also because the main characters in both tales are intrinsically bad people, and the work for even worse people (Escobar is replaced here by Baptiste, but it's essentially the same sociopathic character) and you're supposed to feel, well, what, exactly?

It fits in a little to well with my generally liberal world-view for me not to feel icky with even the idea of liking it - it would be like patting myself on the back from several directions at once, which, I don't really play that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home