Friday, November 03, 2006

Movies I have seen recently:

Stay Alive: More in a touch but C+

Brick: B+

Lucky Number Slevin: D+

Nightwatch: T/O

Stay Alive. I Like it very much more than I felt I would/feel I should. It's horribly written in terms of cliche after cliche, and it is somewhat nonsensical. But. It is oddly affecting. Or at least one specific scene is:

I should say that I was watching the "Unrated Version" which apparently extended the following scene by a good solid 30 seconds or more, which is an eternity in film time.

After a character named Phin dies there is a "no shit" cineloquey for him.

I don't know whether this sequence is incredibly awesome and trying to point out the human cost of the awfullness of horror film deaths or if it is amazingly sadistic, because whilst I wasn't at tears, it did put me in a contemplative mood. I guess what is so incongruous about it is that it is very very pretty in spite of the gore. And as it uses the now used-to-death, but apparently not for me, here, Koyanisqaatsi time-lapse effect, it has almost an almost religious aspect.

Also amongst things Stay Alive has is a sequence immediately before the one described in which the character Phin is rocking out to the song "Sweet Dreams" by Air Supply, which is the sort of thing that gives me almost hot fuzzies. If it had been "All Out of Love" it would have been a cheesy touch. That it was "Sweet Dreams" means that somebody was, as some point in their life an Air Supply Fan. That is not a cool thing to admit, and thus the very warm fuzziness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home